Thursday, January 16, 2014

A review of Django Wexler's Fantasy Book The Thousand Names

The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)The Thousand Names by Django Wexler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Writing 4.5/5
Imagination 5/5
Plot 4.5/5
Setting 4/5
Characters 5/5

Overall Enjoyment 5/5

I actually finished this book the day before I started my new blog and then that took over my life for a week! I usually write reviews immediately after finishing a book so this will be short because of the wait. I loved this book! It falls under the new sub-genre "Flintlock Fantasy" which combines gunpowder and guns with magical elements and also falls under the category military fantasy. Everything was extremely well thought out with regards to plot and it was obvious the author did extensive research on warfare. I really enjoyed the character and world building and the magic system was phenomenal. I came to care about some of the characters and if an author can accomplish this, he has been successful as a writer. The prose was excellent. The pace was steady and solid, perfect to keep the reader wanting to find out what happens next. There was one sequence in the middle I felt the plot should have advanced quicker but that is my only minor complaint. There are no other criticisms of this book. While the obvious comparison will be to Brian McClellan's excellent book Promise of Blood, this book was just as good. Having read both, I can say that while they fall under the same sub-genre, they are very different reading experiences, both delightful. I can not wait for book 2 of The Shadow Campaigns The Shadow Throne.
Comes with my highest recommendation!

View all my reviews

No comments: